Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Ten Minute Refashion

The boys and I are sitting here watching the rain pour, one of their favorite cartoons playing in the background.

At their young age they already know the heavy rain means “Mama’s not taking us outside.”

I, on the other hand, feel a little relieved to wake up to a downpour. We get to stay inside today. Our house has been neglected, my sewing machine abandoned, and many projects started but left unfinished. Hopefully I can take full advantage of the precipitation and tackle my to-dos.

Before I start on my list, I need to throw a sweater on. It’s a little chilly.

Thank goodness I refashioned a turtleneck earlier this spring. What!? Are you trying to tell me I forgot to share it with you? Uh-oh…I’m sorry.

Here is one of the easiest refashions ever:

Refashioning a Too Tight Turtleneck

I started out with a ribbed turtleneck sweater. This thing has been sitting in my closet for a few years, never worn. First, I hate turtlenecks. Second, it was too short, (I’m a little old to be baring my midriff). Third, that vertical ribbing was like a vacuum sealer: sucked the air right out, leaving all these crazy lumps, bumps, and rolls.

I still guiltily shuffled it around in my closet, because it had never been worn. Finally I decided to take action! Here’s what became of this hideous textile:

Turtleneck to Cardigan Refashion

This is one of the easiest refashions I have tackled to date! I am sorry I didn’t take process photos, I truly didn’t believe it would work. Here's what I did:

  1. Cut up the middle.
  2. Fold lace in half and pin on each side of cut. (or you could use bias tape)
  3. Sew lace to sweater.
  4. Sew a button on one side.
  5. Sew a loop of ribbon on the other side (for button closure).
  6. Wash the guilt away, because now you have a wearable garment.

Closure close-up:

turtlenecktocardigan2

I love how the suffocating turtleneck became a collar for the cardigan (maybe it is more of a shrug…). It has been nice to throw on over a tank when the sun starts setting and the days turn chilly.

What do you think? As always, let me know if you have any questions.

4 comments:

  1. loved it! i actually love turtleneck shirts, can't live without them through winter, but let me tell you that it was well worth to cut and turn into a cardigan, it looks great! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I liked turtlenecks, winters are pretty cold!

      Delete
  2. What a clever idea. Inspiring.It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I love the fact that this garment that was sitting in my closet unworn is actually being worn.

    ReplyDelete