Sunday, March 3, 2013

Egg-Free Cheesy Veggie Muffins

I get stuck figuring out what to feed my toddlers. Meals have to be easy for little hands to pick up and eat, egg-free, and mama wants the meal to be nutritious. I love freezer-friendly recipes, so I can make more now, freeze, and pull out later.

While catching up on my blog reading, I came across this Savory Muffin recipe. When I was ready to bake, do you think I could remember where I found the recipe? I didn’t feel like searching through Pinterest, so I just pulled up a recipe that sounded close and made my adaptions.

*These muffins are very versatile. Try any veggie/cheese combo. (I am thinking about adding meat next time.)

Egg-Free Cheesy Veggie Muffins

Egg-Free Cheesy Veggie Muffins

*recipe adapted from Best Recipes

  • 2 cups vegetables (used 1 1/2 c. grated carrot, 1/2 cup corn)
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
  • 1 cup cheese
  • 2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed mixed with 6 Tablespoons warm water (or 2 eggs)
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 cup milk
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Grease muffin pan (I made mini-muffins).
  3. Mix flaxseed and water, set aside.
  4. Combine veggies, 3/4 cup of cheese, flour, Italian seasoning, and baking powder.
  5. In a separate bowl mix flaxseed mixture, oil, and milk.
  6. Add to dry mixture. Stir until combined. (Do not over mix. Nobody likes rubbery muffins.)
  7. Spoon into muffin tins.
  8. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
  9. Bake for 15-25 minutes, until golden. (mini-muffins only took 15 minutes).

Serve warm. Freeze leftovers.

These muffins are delicious, egg-free, and toddler approved. I have enjoyed having these in the freezer for those dinners that the boys decide to throw everything we offer them.

Have you tried a savory/veggie muffin? If so, what are your favorite combinations?

2 comments:

  1. I am definitley going to to this. The only way I sneak in veggies is by juicing but this looks like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are great. Another thing I do to sneak in veggies is use pureed veggies. I think the idea came from Seinfeld's wife's cookbook (sadly her name has slipped away). I cook and puree veggies and store in the freezer. I then pop a few veggie cubes into our dinner. The key here is to try to use veggies in the same color family as dinner, like squash and mac n cheese. My family doesn't know the difference.

      Delete