Monday, January 7, 2013

Deliberate Reading

deliberatereading
Note to self: Schedule haircuts…
Reading is important to me. As a child I was taught that reading is the best superpower one can possess. If you can read, you can do anything; fix a car, bake a cake, build a house, time travel, exotic travel, dream, deepen your relationship with God, anything is possible with a book.
Needless to say, our whole family enjoys reading. My boys even love books. All day long they are bringing a book to mama, and sitting down to listen to a story. The only problem is that they don’t stick around past once upon a time. They are up and on to something else.
This is frustrating for a mama like me (I tend to be a little too structured). One of my 30 by 30 goals is to read to the boys everyday. For the past year I have tried many different ways to read to my boys, with no success. Until I started being deliberate with our reading.
Inspired by Money Saving Mom, I decided to try something different- reading while they eat.
We love it! The boys are getting read to. They tend to eat better. The biggest bonus? They have been throwing less food. We usually get about 4 books read before their attention diverts to something else.
We (translation: mama) is getting a little tired of the same books. What are your favorite children’s books to read aloud?

4 comments:

  1. Oh! I hadn't thought of this! Ollie loves his books (he is constantly bringing them to us saying rea rea) but dinner times have become a little challenging lately with fussiness and food throwing. Tonight, I'm bringing out a book :)

    I get a little tired of the same books too - we just got a new bunch being Christmas and all but I am at the library every week now to get something new to read. I know Oliver would listen to the same thing again and again but I like to move on once I know a story off by heart lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to say that a week later, we are still reading away. Need to schedule a library visit...

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of reading while they eat and your kids look adorable! Thanks so much for passing those inspiring comment and for trying my recipes. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is getting to be a habit.
      Your recipes are the best! (Keep up the good work!)

      Delete