Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Two Ingredient CHOCOLATE cupcakes


We just found out that one of our boys is severly allergic to eggs. This revelation brought forth a slight panic. You see, we are about two months away from their first birthday. What is a first birthday without cake smeared all over the face(s), tangled through the hair, mashed in fingers, and everywhere else possible?

I knew I saw a two-ingredient cake in linky land somewhere, where was it? I turned to trusty Pinterest and started searching, in less than 60 seconds I found the post I was looking for. Stephanie at ladywiththeredrocker.com made a delightfully yummy looking strawberry cake.

Well, I had a box of Devils Food Cake mix, and a can of Diet Coke. I'm gonna try this...


Here's how it went down:

I mixed the TWO ingredients.
Filled lined cupcake pans 2/3 full.
Baked at 325 for 18 minutes.
Cooled, then frosted using this frosting recipe.


The verdict: The cupcake was good, moist and fluffy. Next time I will bake one or two minutes less. The frosting was runny, and a little strong on the mint flavor. It also does not make very much, I had to double the recipe. Next time I want mint frosting I will make a buttercream frosting and add a little mint extract.

I do think the two-ingredient cakes may work for the boys' first birthday.

Let me know if you try this concoction or another variation, I'd love to hear about the other combinations.

1 comment:

  1. What an interesting idea! Does the flavor of the soda change the flavor of the cake? What if I used grape soda on vanilla mix? I'm tempted to try that tonight!

    I've read that you can use flax seed as a substitution for eggs. I'm not sure how that would turn out though as I haven't tried it yet.

    I hope your banana chocolate chip muffins turned out delicious!

    ReplyDelete