Friday, May 4, 2012

Bread Machine Potato Bread Take 1

I came across a wonderful idea while reading one of my to-read blogs thefrugalgirl.com. Blogger Kristen does Food Waste Fridays, where she posts about the food wasted in her household during the week. She had potatoes that needed to be used up, so she made potato bread. This recipe was pinned! Well, her recipe is for real homemade bread, like kneading, rising, baking, the whole shot. I felt a little intimidated. So I headed to my new favorite recipe book- Pinterest- and searched for a bread machine potato bread recipe. Found this recipe from food.com, and got to work.

I boiled my potatoes. I saved the water. I mashed the potatoes. I threw everything in the bread machine. I pushed start. I looked at the clock, "Good the bread will be done right before the hubby gets home."

I was proud of myself, a little giddy actually. I tend to get that way when I master another awesomely frugal tactic. (That is something the hubs says he loves about me. I'm not sure if it is the frugality, the giddy excitement I get, or the comical combination. He loves it and we'll leave it at that.)

Are you excited? Bet you can't wait. Well, I am sad to say that I have not mastered potato bread.




What did I do wrong?  My research tells me that I may have used too much flour, the yeast may have been old, the water too hot, or even too cold. (Um, I never found the thermometer I was looking for.) I am not giving up. I will try to master potato bread.

Hubby tells me to look on the bright side, "At least you know how to make a bread bowl. It might be good with soup in it." Thanks honey.

2 comments:

  1. Thant is probably what my bread would look like to - Baking is not one of my talents. By the way, your twins are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been trying to master the bread machine, lets just say all bread machine recipes are not fool-proof. (Or maybe its the woman and not the recipe...)
      The boys are such a blessing, thank you.

      Delete